During the holiday silly season many of us go, well, just that, a little bit silly when it comes to our health. It is really easy to get caught up in the end of year parties and gatherings that we forget to look after ourselves. The result is facing the New Year feeling heavy, unhealthy, and lacking vitality. Here are 6 Good Habits that you can start now to keep you feeling healthier and with more energy.
- Start your morning with a large glass of water. Some find it easier to drink room- temperature or warm water with a little lemon added. Ensure that you keep hydrated throughout your day by drinking plenty of water.
- Have a high-protein breakfast such as eggs on a bed of spinach or kale, a protein shake containing psyllium husks for fibre, or plain yoghurt and berries. Avoid processed cereals or fruit juices.
- Have a lighter lunch – ideally a large salad with a small amount of lean protein.
- Trade your afternoon coffee for a herbal tea. The lack of caffeine will help you sleep better at night.
- Make your evening meal the smallest of the day and opt for fresh steamed vegetables and fish, lean cuts of meat, or chicken. Include three serves of fresh fish in your week, but avoid those with higher mercury counts such as swordfish, flake and basa.
- Avoid over-indulging in dessert by having a herbal tea instead and keep alcohol to a minimum. Perhaps trade a glass of wine for sparkling mineral water.
I hope these tips will keep you on the right track over the holiday season so that you can start the new year feeling healthy.